Both Texas Senate and House committees will hold hearings on important child protection issues during March.
- The Senate Health and Human Services Committee will hold two days of hearings on March 21 and 22. The first day will focus primarily on Medicaid-related issues. The second day, March 22, includes four specific issue-area charges to be considered:
- Family-Based Safety Services (FBSS),
- timely CPS visits after an allegation of abuse or neglect,
- services and supports for children in Permanent Managing Conservatorship (PMC), and
- effectiveness in recruiting and retaining foster parents.
These hearings will be held in the Senate Chamber beginning at 9 a.m., and public testimony will be limited to three minutes. For more information, see the public hearing notice.
- The House Appropriations subcommittee on Article II will hold a hearing on March 21 beginning at 10 a.m. in Room E1.030 of the Capitol Extension. The subcommittee’s public hearing notice lists three charges that will be considered, including monitoring therapy rate increases at HHSC and the impact of critical needs funding at DFPS. Public testimony will be limited to three minutes.
These hearings should also be available online at the video broadcast pages for the Senate and House, which can be accessed through this legislative page.