In 2016, Texas CASA CEO Vicki Spriggs signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Consulates of Mexico in Texas and Texas CASA regarding the mutual collaboration in cases of Mexican minors or children of Mexican origin who are in the custody of Texas Child Protective Services. The goal of the MOU is to help every child benefit from the connections and support that family provides – regardless of whether the family resides in Mexico or the US.
There are many valuable services that the consulate offices are able and would like to provide to the CASA network, but based on our tracking, as well as conversations with the Regional Representatives and the new Consular of Protection in Austin, we have found that the CASA network is not currently using the MOU to its full advantage. With that in mind, we wanted to remind CASA programs of the MOU process, as well as make them aware of some new information and opportunities.
- Firstly, any CASA program can utilize the services outlined in the MOU. The services consulate offices offer are not limited to CFE programs/CFE cases. Regionally or locally, CASA programs are encouraged to reach out to the consulate for a meet and greet meeting if they have not yet done so.
- The consulates are supposed to be notified if CPS/CASA is serving a child that meets the definition of a Mexican minor. Although CPS is supposed to notify, CASA programs can do so as well.
- Consulate offices offer trainings for CASA programs regarding their services. Texas CASA hosted one of these trainings and found it very helpful – we encourage your program to do the same.
- Consulate offices may also be open to CASA setting up an exhibitor table in their lobby and/or at events for CASA recruitment, awareness and education purposes.
We hope your program will take full advantage of this valuable resource, so that the children you serve can be better connected to their families and heritage, regardless of where the family lives. Included below are resources to help your program take full advantage of the MOU.
- Instructions for working with Mexican Consulates
- Mexican Consulate Contacts
- Mexican Consulate Map
- Mexican Consulate Referral Form
- MOU between Consulates of Mexico in Texas & Texas CASA
- MOU Referral Tracking Sheet
If you have any questions about the MOU, please email CFE Manager Candice Dosman at [email]firstname.lastname@example.org[/email].