By Vicki Spriggs, Texas CASA CEO
Dear CASA Community,
I’m writing you with a time-sensitive request. We need your help connecting young people with Young Adult Pandemic Aid (PanAid), a funding opportunity designed to help young people who’ve experienced foster care afford immediate and basic needs such as rent, groceries, cell phone bills and more.
In short, young adults who aged out of Texas foster care or who are in extended foster care, ages 18-26, are eligible to receive up to $1,000 in aid, and possibly more. This is free, no-strings-attached money that has been set aside just for them. All they have to do is fill out a short, online application, but the deadline is coming up very quickly – Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021.
This is where PanAid needs your help: the best way to get a young person to apply for these funds is by reaching out to them directly and supporting them through the process.
CASA volunteers tend to be a highly trusted person in the lives of the youth they serve. If you’ve advocated for a young person who might qualify for this aid, please make sure they know about this opportunity, vouch that it is 100% real and safe for them to participate in, and urge them to apply!
A few things to know:
- The deadline is Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021.
- It shouldn’t take longer than 30 minutes to complete the application.
- Here is the direct link to the application form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PANAID
- Receipts for expenses are requested on the application, but not required.
- Young people do not have to prove that an expense or hardship is directly related to the pandemic.
- The process is safe, legitimate and backed by Texas CASA—None of the personal information disclosed in the application will be shared with anyone outside of this project.
CASA volunteers, we strongly encourage you to help the young person through the application; you can even complete it on their behalf. Once a young person applies, ask them to spread the word in their network and friend group if they feel comfortable doing so.
With the deadline coming up so quickly, this is an all-hands-on-deck situation. We greatly appreciate your help getting the word out to these young people. Given the difficulties they have faced over the course of the pandemic, this money could be truly lifesaving.
Thank you for all that you do, and for your swift attention to this opportunity. Help us help these Texans get the aid they deserve!