Leslie Morton, Training & Communications Director
Office: (512) 610-6101
Cell: (704) 907-2173
Caitlyn Perdue, Senior Communications Specialist
Office: (512) 610-6125
Collaborative Family Engagement (CFE) | Texas CASA recently announced its involvement in developing and launching a progressive new initiative, Collaborative Family Engagement (CFE). The goal of CFE is to create better outcomes for children in the Texas child protection system by identifying, locating and engaging family members and other committed adults so they may be involved in the child’s care and permanency planning.
Public Policy | Texas CASA works to make sure that the voices of children in the child welfare system are heard not only in the courts but also at the Texas Capitol. Texas CASA engages in legislative advocacy efforts to better enable CASA volunteers to serve these children through the promotion of public policies.
Child Outcomes & Volunteer Effectiveness (COVE) Project | Texas CASA launched a groundbreaking statewide study, called the Child Outcomes and Volunteer Effectiveness (COVE) project, to better understand the contributions CASA volunteer advocates make in the lives of the children they serve.
About Texas CASA & The CASA Community
- Texas CASA Overview
- The CASA Voice | Texas CASA’s news and outreach blog containing updates on the life-changing work that Texas CASA, the 71 local CASA volunteer advocacy programs, our welfare partners, sponsors and supporters are doing to ensure a safe, positive future for all Texas children.
- FY 2016 Annual Report | Check out our Fiscal Year 2016 Annual Report: Amplified Voices to read about how Texas CASA is staying at the forefront of the child welfare system by creating models for statewide and national change with our initiatives and projects.
Child Welfare & Texas CASA Facts
In 2016 in Texas:
- 222 children died from child abuse or neglect. That’s a child every 2 days.
- There were 58,644 confirmed victims of child abuse or neglect.
- Almost every 9 minutes, a child became a victim of abuse or neglect.
- 60% of child abuse or neglect victims were 6 years old or younger.
- 19,079 children were removed from home due to abuse or neglect. That’s 52 children entering the foster care system each day.
- A total of 48,795 children were in the child protection system.
The CASA community in Texas is made up of 71 local CASA programs with more than 9,100 volunteers serving nearly 28,000 foster children in 213 counties. Click here to view all CASA programs in Texas. For a CASA program outside of Texas, please visit the National CASA website.