Leslie Morton, Communications & Awareness Executive Director
Office: (512) 610-6101
Cell: (704) 907-2173
Caitlyn Perdue, Communications Manager
Office: (512) 610-6125
About Texas CASA & The CASA Community
- Texas CASA Overview
- The CASA Voice | Texas CASA’s news and outreach blog containing updates on the life-changing work that Texas CASA, the 71 local CASA volunteer advocacy programs, our welfare partners, sponsors and supporters are doing to ensure a safe, positive future for all Texas children.
- FY 2017 Impact Report | The Texas CASA 2017 Impact Report highlights the accomplishments of our organization and network throughout FY 2017.
- FY 2016 Annual Report | Check out our Fiscal Year 2016 Annual Report: Amplified Voices to read about how Texas CASA is staying at the forefront of the child welfare system by creating models for statewide and national change with our initiatives and projects.
Collaborative Family Engagement (CFE) | Texas CASA recently announced its involvement in developing and launching a progressive new initiative, Collaborative Family Engagement (CFE). The goal of CFE is to create better outcomes for children in the Texas child protection system by identifying, locating and engaging family members and other committed adults so they may be involved in the child’s care and permanency planning.
Public Policy | Texas CASA works to make sure that the voices of children in the child welfare system are heard not only in the courts but also at the Texas Capitol. Texas CASA engages in legislative advocacy efforts to better enable CASA volunteers to serve these children through the promotion of public policies.
Child Welfare & Texas CASA Facts
In 2017 in Texas:
- 172 children died from child abuse or neglect.
- There were 63,657 confirmed victims of child abuse or neglect.
- Almost every 8 minutes, a child became a victim of abuse or neglect.
- 60% of child abuse or neglect victims were 6 years old or younger.
- 19,782 children were removed from home due to abuse or neglect. That’s 54 children entering the foster care system each day.
- A total of 50,293 children were in the child protection system.
- 10,424 CASA volunteers advocated for 29,747 children in care in FY 2017 – this still leaves too many children without a dedicated volunteer to speak up for their needs while in care.
The CASA community in Texas is made up of 71 local CASA programs with more than 10,400 volunteers serving nearly 30,000 foster children in 213 counties. Click here to view all CASA programs in Texas. For a CASA program outside of Texas, please visit the National CASA website.