For all media requests, please contact our Communications team:
Communications & Awareness Executive Director
Office: (512) 610-6101
Cell: (704) 907-2173
Office: (512) 610-6125
- KXAN | Child advocates and religious leaders help LGBTQ youth in foster care
- Texas Standard | Bill Would Help Ensure Foster Care Youth Have Access To Identification Documents
- Texas Standard | Unidentified: How Kids Can Age Out of Texas Foster Care Without Documentation
- San Antonio Express | Progress Made, but there’s more to do for Texas children
- El Paso Times | New program helps Texas foster children: Op-ed
- TribTalk | Time for child-focused foster care reform
- Dallas News | Vicki Spriggs: The 5 reforms Texas most needs to turn around CPS
- Houston Chronicle | Spriggs: Texas’ child-protection system is failing
About Texas CASA
Texas CASA is a statewide membership organization that works hand-in-hand with the 72 local CASA programs in Texas to develop groundbreaking initiatives and legislative priorities that advance the child welfare system. We work to connect each part of the CASA community and empower the local programs to perform at their highest level. With a solid foundation and a culture of collaboration, we strengthen the programs’ ability to serve their volunteers – and ultimately, the children in need – positioning us to collectively move forward with greater success. More about Texas CASA.
Texas CASA envisions a safe and positive future for all Texas children.
The mission of Texas CASA is to support local CASA volunteer advocacy programs and to advocate for effective public policy for children in the child protection system.
Initiatives & Series
- Collaborative Family Engagement (CFE) | CFE, a partnership between local CASA programs and Child Protective Services (CPS), is focused on creating better outcomes for children in the Texas child protection system by identifying, locating and engaging family members and other committed adults so they may be involved in the child’s care and permanency planning. CFE FAQs | CFE Hand Out
- Public Policy | Texas CASA works to make sure that the voices of children in the child welfare system are heard not only in the courts but also at the Texas Capitol. Texas CASA engages in legislative advocacy efforts to better enable CASA volunteers to serve these children through the promotion of public policies.
- Conversations with CASA | A video series from Texas CASA that will explore current issues and trends affecting child welfare, our children in care and our network.
- Emily’s Story: A Year in the Life of a Foster Child | A year-long series that each month pulled back the curtain on what life can really be like for children in state care.
Child Welfare & Texas CASA Facts
In 2018 in Texas:
- 211 children died from child abuse or neglect.
- There were 66,382 confirmed victims of child abuse or neglect.
- Almost every 8 minutes, a child became a victim of abuse or neglect.
- 20,685 children were removed from home due to abuse or neglect. That’s 56 children entering the foster care system each day.
- A total of 52,397 children were in the child protection system.
The CASA community in Texas is made up of 72 local CASA programs with nearly 11,000 volunteers serving more than 30,000 foster children in 213 counties. Click here to view all CASA programs in Texas. For a CASA program outside of Texas, please visit the National CASA website.