Standards Spotlight: CEO Succession Planning
Texas CASA’s Standards for Local CASA/GAL Programs are the operational rules and minimum requirements that serve as the foundation of successful programs. In an effort to support local CASA programs using these standards to determine both necessary policy and effective practices, Texas CASA will now provide a monthly Standards Spotlight in Inside CASA. This month’s standard in the spotlight is Texas CASA Standard 6.A.7.a.-e.
Texas CASA Standard 6.A.7.a.-e.
The governing body adopts a written succession plan. The plan makes provision for the following in the event of the replacement of a chief executive officer:
- Designates an interim chief executive officer/program administrator, if necessary and notifies Texas CASA.
- Charges a committee with responsibility for conducting a formal search.
- Provides the resources needed to carry out the search effectively.
- Notifies Texas CASA, National CASA, significant funders, and other pertinent personnel of replacement.
- Plans for the delegation of authority in the temporary absence, not replacement, of the chief executive officer.
A sample Executive Director Emergency Succession Plan is available for your program’s use on page 19 of Texas CASA’s Administration Resource Manual. If you have any questions about this resource or succession planning, please contact the Texas CASA Program Operations team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view the current edition of Texas CASA Standards, please visit our website.