Each year, the Children’s Commission publishes a Texas Child Protection Law Bench Book which outlines the state and federal statutory requirements for judges handling child protection cases, including topical sections and checklists. Though it is intended for judges, the Bench Book is a great resource with information that can benefit anyone involved in the child protection legal process.
The Bench Book is updated annually, and was recently revised to incorporate changes emanating from the 85th Texas Legislative Session. The 2017 revisions to the Bench Book include:
- new information on Community Based Foster Care,
- Caregiver Assistance Agreements,
- new Bureau of Indian Affairs Guidelines regarding implementation of the Indian Child Welfare Act, and
- new federal laws affecting educational outcomes of children in the child welfare system.
Other revised content includes useful information which covers many CPS matters, including appeals, adoptions, disproportionality, education, STAR Health, and ICPC.
The Texas Child Protection Law Bench Book is available on the Children’s Commission website at the following links:
- Texas Child Protection Law Bench Book – Interactive Online Version
- Texas Child Protection Law Bench Book – PDF Download