On March 22, the Senate Health and Human Services Committee held an all-day hearing on its interim charges related to child welfare and substance abuse. The committee heard testimony from the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS), the Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC), invited guests and the public on the following topics:
- The efficacy and quality of services offered in Family-Based Safety Services
- The timeliness of CPS visits to children with CPS involvement
- The services and supports provided to children in Permanent Management Conservatorship (PMC)
- The effectiveness of public and private agency efforts to recruit and retain foster parents
- The adequacy of substance use services and substance use-related health outcomes for pregnant and postpartum women
To watch the hearing or listen to testimony, visit the Senate website. Texas CASA was onsite monitoring the conversation and will have many legislative priorities related to these topics in the 86th Legislative Session. For questions or concerns, email email@example.com.