On June 26, 2020, Texas CASA hosted a webinar to help ensure CASA staff and volunteers have the tools they need to successfully advocate for children and families in virtual CPS court hearings. The following topics were also discussed:
- facilitating meaningful preparation and participation in virtual hearings for children, youth and families;
- protecting confidentiality during court hearings;
- supporting service plan participation for children and parents;
- ensuring proper documentation; and more.
The webinar was moderated by the Honorable Rob Hofmann, Judge of the 452nd District Court and Jurist in Residence for the Supreme Court Children’s Commission. Panelists included:
- Ann Marie Smith, Attorney ad litem for children and parents,
- Dennis Arriaga, Managing Attorney for DFPS in Region 8,
- LeAnne Lopez, Senior Advocacy Coordinator with CASA of the South Plains, and
- Terri Faught, Volunteer Advocate with CASA of the South Plains.
We hope you and your program find this webinar helpful as we continue to navigate the world of virtual advocacy.