Texas CASA Child Welfare Primer
The 2019 Texas CASA Child Welfare Primer: Essential Advocacy for Child & Family Well-Being will take place on February 4, 2019, at the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown. The two-part event will start at 9:00 a.m. with a morning session covering Texas CASA’s Legislative Priorities exclusively for local CASA program volunteers, staff and board members. The afternoon session will include lunch followed by two panel discussions on substance abuse and normalcy for children and youth in the foster care system. The afternoon session is open to all child welfare stakeholders, legislators and legislative staff, in addition to the CASA network.
thank you to our sponsor!
Part 1 | CASA Network Only
Coffee will be available
Vicki Spriggs, CEO, Texas CASA
Andy Homer, Director of Public Policy, Texas CASA
Sarah Crockett, Public Policy Coordinator, Texas CASA
Bryan Mares, Public Policy Fellow, Texas CASA
Alyssa Jones, Director of Outreach, Texas Alliance of Child & Family Services
Ann Strauser Palmer, Legislative Advocacy Coordinator, Texas CASA
Part 2 | CASA Network & Stakeholders
Lunch will be provided in the hotel atrium from 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM.
Texas CASA has secured a block of rooms at the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown for $219/night. To book a room, call 1-800-843-6664. The cutoff is January 4, 2019.
Click here for other nearby hotel options.
Discounted parking will be available – stay tuned for more information.
Panel 1 | Substance Use & Abuse: Moving the Conversation Forward
Moderator: Leah Davies, UT-Austin Center for Disability Studies
- Dr. Lisa Cleveland, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and an Associate Professor at UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- Dr. Rajesh Miranda, Professor of Neuroscience and Experimental Therapeutics at Texas A&M University Health Science Center, College of Medicine
- Karen Palombo, Women’s Substance Abuse Services Coordinator at HHSC
- Marco Quesada, Substance Use Specialist at CPS
- Sherry Santa, Medical Education Program Coordinator and Adoptive Parent
Panel 2 | Normalcy: Challenges & Opportunities in Foster Care
Moderator: Jesse Booher, Texas Alliance of Child and Family Services
- Lanna Switzer, Case Manager at New Horizons Ranch RTC
- Megan Zellner, Foster Adoption Program Director at The Settlement Home for Children
- Laura Wells, Foster Parent
- Amber Krause, Residential Child Care Licensing
If you have any questions about the Primer, contact the Public Policy team at email@example.com.