What is a Legislative Advocacy Team?
Legislative Advocacy Teams (LATs) work with Texas CASA and their local CASA programs to build relationships with legislators, develop policy agendas to improve the child welfare system in partnership with Texas CASA, and motivate and empower others in their program to advocate for those improvements. LATs are led by volunteer advocates and/or board members, and work with staff liaisons in each CASA program.
As a part of a LAT, CASA volunteers are able to advocate for children on a larger scale and work toward solutions to systemic problems they encounter in their role. This gives them the chance to be a voice of change not only for the children they serve, but for every child in the child protection system!
For more information about LATs or to inquire about how to start one in your CASA program, contact the Public Policy team at email@example.com.
Where are the current Legislative Advocacy Teams?
- Amarillo, Amarillo Area CASA, Inc. (Jim Taylor, Chair)
- Athens, CASA of Trinity Valley (Roy Talbot, Chair)
- Austin, CASA of Travis County (Alisa De Luna, Chair)
- Brenham, CASA for Kids of South Central Texas (Susan Shifflett, Chair)
- Bryan, Voices for Children/CASA of Brazos Valley (Nicole Gueck, Chair)
- Cleburne, CASA of Johnson County (Cathy Anderson, Chair)
- Conroe, CASA Child Advocates of Montgomery County (Clay McCollor, Chair)
- Corpus Christi, CASA of the Coastal Bend (Seana Towler, Chair)
- Corsicana, CASA of Navarro County (Barbara Long, Chair)
- Dallas, Dallas CASA (Chad Frymire, Chair)
- Dalhart, CASA 69, Inc. (Wayne Smith, Chair)
- Denton, CASA of Denton County (Chanel Knott and Mike Fitzsimmons, Co-chairs)
- Edinburg, CASA of Hidalgo County (Ignacio Almaguer, Chair)
- El Paso, CASA of El Paso (Sandy Moody, Chairs)
- Fort Worth, CASA of Tarrant County (Vacant)
- Georgetown, CASA of Williamson County (Lisa Birkman, Chair)
- Granbury, CASA of Hood & Somervell Counties (Gaye Dixon, Chair)
- Kingsland, CASA of the Highland Lakes Area (Vacant)
- Kingsville, Brush Country CASA (Anna Morris, Gina Smith and Nicole Poritsanos, Co-chairs)
- Liberty, CASA of Liberty/Chambers Counties (Pat and Bill Baker, Co-chairs)
- Lufkin, CASA of the Pines (Jannah Neren, Chair)
- McKinney, CASA of Collin County (Jenny Haynes, Chair)
- Nacogdoches, CASA of Deep East Texas (Vacant)
- Midland, CASA of West Texas (Vacant)
- Mt. Pleasant, CASA of Titus, Camp & Morris Counties (Judy Kent, Chair)
- New Braunfels, CASA of Central Texas (John Barthel, Chair)
- Rosenberg, Child Advocates of Fort Bend (Glen Austin and Rhonda Kuykendall, Co-chairs)
- Temple, CASA of Bell & Coryell Counties (Vacant)
- Victoria, Golden Crescent CASA (Stephen Hunter, Chair)
- Waco, CASA of McLennan County (Paula Hayward and Ramona Cooper, Co-chairs)
- Waxahachie, CASA of Ellis County (John Knight, Chair)
- Witchita Falls, Child Advocates/CASA of Red River (Laura Grimsinger, Chair)
- Hillsboro, CASA of Hill County (Barbara Aydlett, Chair)