In 2013, CASA advocated for better access to case records and information, and as a result House Bill 1227 passed that required DFPS to allow CASA access to a child’s electronic case records by 2014. Case Connection was developed to access CPS IMPACT electronic records. The information below will provide your program with the guides, webinars and forms needed to assist your CASA program in accessing and using Case Connection.
CASA STAFF & VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENTS FOR CASE CONNECTION ACCESS
The statewide CASA/CPS MOU contains security requirements for the access and use of Case Connection. Please review the security requirement in the CASA/CPS MOU.
Each local CASA program will determine how staff and volunteers will best utilize Case Connection. IMPACT upgrades have been made since the inception of Case Connection. Access to additional IMPACT records has occurred, and CASA can now upload information into IMPACT records via Case Connection. Further information about this can be found below.
CASA SPECIALIZED STAFF FOR CASE CONNECTION ACCESS and USE – IAM REPRESENTATIVE
Identify Access Management (IAM) Representatives
To access and use Case Connection, each local CASA program must have a trained staff to serve as the program’s IAM Representative. The IAM representative is responsible for giving CASA staff and/or volunteers access to Case Connection. The IAM representative maintains a current list of active staff and/or volunteers that have Case Connection access. They are also responsible for removing CASA staff and advocates who are no longer active or with the program. The IAM representative should keep their program’s list of active Case Connection users current and accurate.
Each local CASA program is strongly encouraged to have 2 IAM Reps. To assign an IAM Rep, local CASA programs should contact:
Danya Derrick, DFPS Lead Permanency Program Specialist
Email: Danya.Derrick@dfps.texas.gov | Phone: (512) 596-8831
RESOURCES, GUIDES & FORMS
The following resources are for IAM Representatives and ALL CASA staff and volunteers that will access and use Case Connection.
- Case Connection Getting Started Guide (September 2016)
- Case Connection User Guide (September 2016)
- Accessing Case Information
- CPS Data Entry Guide for Case Connection Users: Provides timeframe requirements for CPS data entry into IMPACT and suggestions on how to report/resolve concerns regarding the lack of current information.
- Case Connection Tip Sheet (developed for January 2017 webinar)
The following resources are for CASA IAM Representatives only:
- IAM Job Aid: Approve/Reject and Terminate Users Guide (November 2016): Explains how to assign, terminate, and manage Case Connection access.
- Revised Letter of Introduction Form: This letter is used to gain access to a specific case through Case Connection. Note: If your CASA program is working in an SSCC Stage 2 area, then the SSCC worker will receive this letter. (CPS has provided all the information about CASA’s access to records in Case Connection to the SSCC.)
- Submit a DFPS Help Request Guide (December 2014): For your program’s IAM representative if an issue occurs with Case Connection that cannot be resolved by CASA staff.
- Assistance & Trouble Shooting: IAM representatives only should reach out if your program need assistance or trouble shooting. Please contact Danya Derrick, DFPS Lead Permanency Program Specialist, by email at Danya.Derrick@dfps.state.tx.us or phone at (512) 438-3238.
UPLOADING DOCUMENTS INTO CASE CONNECTION
CASA staff and volunteers can upload specific documents/photos of children into Case Connection. Some examples of documents CASA staff and volunteers can upload are:
- Photos of children
- Birth Certificates
- Family Finding chart/genogram
- Mental Health Records
- Birth/Hospital Records
- Education Portfolios/School Records
- Physician’s Reports
- Immunization Records
- Dentist’s Reports
- Legal Documents
- Social Security Cards
Case Connection will automatically notify the child’s caseworker when CASA uploads specific documents or photos.
ARCHIVED CASE CONNECTION TRAINING – January 2017
Jan. 5, 2017, CPS hosted a webinar that provided an overview of Case Connection, enhancements to the ABCS background check process, and how to use the new features. A recording of the webinar is below and broken into three parts: Portal Registration (15:35 minutes), Using Case Connection (30:48 minutes), and Deeper Dive: IAM Representatives (25:46 minutes).
- Webinar PowerPoint Part 1
- Webinar PowerPoint Part 2
- Case Connection Tip Sheet
- Accessing Case Connection & Case Information